A construction engineer is a civil engineer who oversees the design and implementation of large building projects. They also assist in maintaining infrastructure systems, such as roads, dams, water supply systems and buildings. They work with a team of fellow engineers and construction crews to organize and complete projects. Other responsibilities could include:
- Developing construction project budgets
- Gathering resources, including employees, tools, machines and physical materials
- Operating machinery and using tools
- Using computer software to plan and design projects
- Overseeing progress and safety on construction sites
Construction Engineer Responsibilities:
- Managing the planning and design stages of construction projects.
- Contributing technical expertise to project drawings and designs.
- Performing cost calculations and preparing financial projections.
- Preparing work schedules in collaboration with the project manager.
- Liaising between contractors, subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers.
- Overseeing construction engineering processes.
- Performing regular tests on materials and procedures to ensure compliance with industry regulations.
- Ensuring that the construction project is completed on time and within budget.
- Documenting processes and keeping detailed construction logs.
- Presenting construction project progress updates to clients and senior managers.
How to become a construction engineer
Follow these steps to become a construction engineer:
1. Earn a degree
You can earn either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in an engineering field. If you want to apply for management roles faster or specialize in a specific field, you should earn a master’s degree. Consider completing internships to begin gaining practical engineering experience.
2. Obtain your EIT
You need an EIT to enter the construction engineering field. The EIT exam lasts six hours and covers topics that you learned during your education.
3. Gain experience
You can gain experience in entry-level engineering roles to prepare to practice on your own. You need at least three years of experience with a licensed engineer before applying for a PE.
4. Apply for a PE
A PE allows you to be a construction engineer who can offer your services to the public. You need to pass an eight-hour exam and submit proof of your experience. Each state has its own standards, so you may need to meet additional requirements. You also need to renew your PE licensure depending on your state’s guidelines.